October 26, 2022 – Final preparations are underway as Blue Grass Airport gets ready to greet passengers arriving for the 2022 Breeders’ Cup World Championships. Serving as an official partner of this year’s event, the airport will provide the first impression to thousands of travelers expected to fly into central Kentucky.
The airport is partnering with the airlines, Federal Aviation Administration, Transportation Security Administration, U.S. Customs and Signature Flight Support (private aviation) to meet the needs of arriving commercial and private aviation passengers. In addition, Blue Grass Airport is working with its onsite rental car companies, ground transportation providers, parking concessionaire, as well as its food and retail partners to ensure guests from around the world have a warm welcome to Lexington.
Several of the preparations being made for the festivities include:
- Additional flight offerings and larger aircraft to handle the increased passenger demand
- Increased parking area for private aircraft
- Breeders’ Cup merchandise and special products offered in retail shops
- Live performances by Bluegrass bands
- Food tastings and bourbon-related experiences
- Complimentary bourbon balls upon arrival, courtesy of Maker’s Mark
- “Call to the Post” at baggage claim as passengers’ bags arrive
- LexArts artistic foals grazing in baggage claim
- Purple and yellow flowers throughout the exterior of the airport
- Breeders’ Cup themed attire for airport staff working in the terminal
- Extended hours for airport restaurants and the business lounge, The Club at Blue Grass
“Blue Grass Airport is tremendously proud to host international and U.S. visitors for the Breeders’ Cup World Championships,” said Eric Frankl, president & CEO of Blue Grass Airport. “Planning for events such as this takes at least one year of preparation and lots of coordination with our partners. We are thankful for the support of our on-site partners and all the staff that creates such a positive travel experience for our guests.”